Tuesday, August 4, 2009

LITTLE WILD HORSE CANYON

Finally we ventured off somewhere besides Moab. For my birthday we went to Little Wild Horse Canyon on the San Rafeal Reef (Near Gobblin Valley). We had two of Liesel's little sisters with us, Kallie 16, and Abby 14. They were staying with us for 2 weeks. Pretty much all we did was swim at the Helper pool and go hiking. Liesel even took them to Moab while I worked.
Here is the sign marking the trail. Here it splits to Bell Canyon and Little Wild Horse. It does a loop, so you go up one and come down the other. We just went up Little Wild Horse to the top and came back down. Alot less sun that way.
It's AMAZING how the water has carved this canyon through the millions of years. I took so many pictures, it was hard to thin them out for the blog.

As the canyon gets skinnier, it gets really curvey from the water flow.


CUTE GIRL!!!


"You go first", "No YOU!"


This reminds me of Easter hikes with Mandy :)

I really don't have much to say, so I'll let the pictures do the talking.




So many different formations. Look at these girls growing out of this rock!


Ran into some water, but we were glad to find it.

At least I was :)




Abby tried to climb around it for a while, but it was inevitable....

LIZARD!!!



NEAT

I LOVE UTAH!!!!













This is the SKULL

Strong Kallie.....




This was a trail marker we found.

We found this bug thing in a pool of water on another little hike. I thought it was a tad-pole, but soon found out that I didn't want that thing in my hands.



But we did dare catch this frog :) It was an awesome birthday, and the weather ended up being perfect. When we started the hike it was 102, but once we got back out of the slot canyon it was a mild 89. We're definitely going back to do the whole loop once it's cooled off a little.


4 comments:

  1. Utah sure has some great places. Glad you had a good time and were able to show the kids a good time while they were here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a good birthday- after all the 26th is the best day ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys sure do know how to have fun. Love the outdoors. Glad Liesel likes to do all that fun outdoor stuff as much as you. Beautiful scenery. Like to show our girls some of that sometime. We don't have that kind of scenery out here- different but very beautiful too. Glad you had a good birthday.
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little Wild Horse is one of my most favorite places in the whole world.

    ReplyDelete